Blogs > ON CAMPUS

ON CAMPUS A look at the area college sports scene

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Yale Accepts Coach Williams’ Resignation

I feel it is a shocking news that Yale football coach Tom Williams has resigned.
If it is because of his statement on the Rhodes Scholarship I don't feel that there was much harm in it.
If it was because of his losses to Harvard that's even worse.
Here's wishing that Williams finds success in his next venture.
Here is the release on Williams' resignation from the Yale website.

New Haven, Conn.—Yale University today accepted the resignation of head football coach Tom Williams. Williams' resignation is effective December 31, said Director of Athletics Tom Beckett.

"I wish to clear the record," Williams said in offering his resignation. "On the Rhodes Scholarship issue, I was encouraged to apply by the Stanford Fellowship office, which identified me 'as the kind of student who demonstrates the intellect, energy and commitment that the Rhodes selection committees seek in their applicants.' I considered the opportunity, sought advice and was encouraged to apply by faculty members and my coach Bill Walsh, but I did not apply."

"During the spring of my senior year, I was given an opportunity to attend a try-out camp with the San Francisco 49ers, and I participated in that three-day event. I did not sign a free agent contract with the 49ers or participate in their summer training camp for signed players."

"I am extremely proud of my academic, athletic and coaching career. If there was confusion created, I take full responsibility. The timing of this inquiry has been difficult for everyone. At this point I believe it is in the best interest of my student-athletes and Yale University that I step down."

In accepting Williams' resignation, Beckett said, "Coach Williams has been a dedicated teacher and coach at Yale, and his students have benefited greatly from his leadership and passion for the game of football."

Beckett said the University would immediately begin a search for Williams' successor.
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Copyright © 2010
View: Mobile | Desktop

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home