Blogs > ON CAMPUS

ON CAMPUS A look at the area college sports scene

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mangano invited to Team USA tryouts

Yale center Greg Mangano has been invited to participate in the Team USA open tryouts over the summer.
Mangano, who will be a senior next season, is one of just under 30 of the nation’s top college basketball players to receive an invitation. Twelve players will be selected to the team.
“It’s an honor and a privilege to even get a tryout,“ Mangano said. “I found out yesterday and don’t know a lot of the details. I’ll get a chance to play with some of the best players in the country who are my age.
“It’s going to be the rest returning college players in the country. I know they’ll put together a great team and hopefully I’ll be able to make it.”
Mangano recently entered the NBA draft but withdrew his name from consideration just before the deadline in order to maintain his collegiate eligibility. He did not hire an agent and will finish his education at Yale.
“I looked at the draft a lot more,” said the first-team All-Ivy selection. “There’s a lot of guys who decided to come back to college. It’s still going to be great competition and I wouldn’t say that the draft was weak this year but hopefully I’ll get a chance to show what I can do against some of the great competition.”
Yale coach James Jones said that Mangano, who averaged 16.3 points and 10 rebounds a game last season, entered the draft process very late which prevented most NBA teams from making contact with the 6-10, 240-pounder from Orange.
“I did get a call from the San Antonio Spurs who wanted to know how serious he was about coming out,” Jones said. “They wanted to fly him down for a workout. He entered the process late but it was still beneficial.
“I don’t know if Greg will be drafted next year but I want him to get invited to the pre-NBA draft camp and then at least get into the (NBA Developmental League).”
Said Mangano: “As far as getting my name out there it served the purpose. I still it was a good decision and I’m glad I went through with it but this USA tryout is great. Basketball-wise things are going well.”
Jones said that Mangano is becoming a more complete player with every practice.
“Greg practically dominated every Ivy League game he played in last year,” Jones said. “I gave him (former Yale star and NBA veteran) Chris Dudley’s stats. I showed him that he averaged over four offensive rebounds a game.
“That’s what Greg has to do. He averaged 10 rebounds a game last year and only about one offensively. He has to attack the basket, dominate the offensive boards and live on the free throw line.
“If he does that he’s going to have a special season.”
The national team tryouts are expected to include Ohio State freshman center Jared Sullinger and North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes.
Contact Bill Cloutier at 203-789-5653. Follow Bill on Twitter @BillCloutier. To receive breaking sports news first — simply text the word “nhsports” to 22700. Standard msg+data rates may apply.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home