Blogs > ON CAMPUS

ON CAMPUS A look at the area college sports scene

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Yale's Mangano enters NBA draft

By Bill Cloutier
Assistant Sports Editor
bcloutier@nhregister.com
Yale junior center Greg Mangano has declared himself eligible for the NBA. Mangano, from Orange, has not hired an agent in order to retain his with the school.
Mangano had a breakout junior season in which he finished ninth in the nation in blocked shots (3.0 per game) and 24th in rebounding (10.0). The former all-stater from Notre Dame-West Haven averaged 16.3 points and was a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection and earned all-district honors from the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).
Mangano said that at this time he fully intends on returning to Yale for his senior season.
"Coach (James) Jones told me there were some teams thta expressed some interest and he said that this path was the best thing for me to do right now," Mangano said. "It's get's me some exposure.
"I fully intend on pulling my name out by the May 8 deadline. There is a form I have to send into the NBA offices by May 8. I haven't hired an agent and that will get me fully reinstated by the NCAA."
Mangano didn't disclose which teams have shown interest.
"The most important thing to me right now remains the fact that I came to Yale to get a first class education and graduate from this university," Mangano said. "The decision to declare for the draft is just something we decided would be beneficial for my future. Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine, and this may help my cause.
"It's definitely exciting. It's exciting to know there is some interest."
Mangano said his decision wasn't impacted by the commonly-held belief that this is a weak NBA draft.
"I've looked at the mock drafts but I haven't really studied them," he said. "I've read that it really isn't a strong draft this year. Next year could be a stronger draft but it really doesn't make a difference. My plan right now is to get some exposure and then come back to Yale and have a really big season next year.
"I fully intend on graduating from Yale and that’s why I went there in the first place."
Mangano led the Ivy League in rebounding and blocked shots and was second in scoring. He is the first Ivy player to average a double-double for the season since Kyle Snowden in 1995-96. His numbers were even more impressive in Ivy games where he averaged 18.6 points and 10.4 rebounds, which both led the league.
Mangano, a four-time Ivy League Player of the Week selection, was dominant on both ends of the floor. His 85 blocks were the most in a season in school history and the third most in Ivy history. In addition, his 51 blocks in league games is a new Ivy record. He scored 20 points or more in nine games this season, including tallying a career-high 30 in a victory at Dartmouth. He led the Bulldogs in rebounding in all but four games and grabbed a career-high 17 at Brown.
"Greg had a tremendous junior campaign which is worthy of NBA interest," said Jones. "His ability to defensive rebound and his shot blocking ability makes him an outstanding candidate for the next level."
Underclassmen who have declared for the draft, but have not hired an agent, have until May 8 to withdraw their names from consideration and retain their eligibility.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home